Thursday, March 22, 2012

Angry Bird Cupcakes

Well here is my latest "Pintrest" try. Brother Baer's birthday is Sunday and I am taking cupcakes to school for his party! So....I searched Pintrest and found a really cool idea. The original post with lots of pictures can be found here:
So...Off to the store I went to collect my supplies. I followed directions "for the most part" As usual. My grocery store didn't have string licorice, so I improvised with twizzlers. I had a hard time with the marshmallows. But....Here is what I came up with.
I made funfetti cupcakes. The mix makes 24 cupcakes.
I made my own icing. Using the basic Wilton Buttercream icing recipe: 1 lb bag of powdered sugar, 1/2 cup of crisco, 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick softened), 2 tablespoons of milk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Then I seperated it into 4 bowls and colored them the colors I wanted. Green, Blue, Red, and Yellow! I used the gel food coloring for the red and blue. And the liquid food coloring for the yellow and green. I didn't see a difference of the coloring. It's just what I had on hand. So either works well in my opinion. Then iced 6 of each color. then I sprinkled them with the same color sprinkles as the icing. Just for a little extra fancy. LOL It didn't change the way they looked.
I made the eyes from mini marshmallows (cut in half) and mini chocolate chips. The eye brows are made from twizzlers cut into size. As well as the "hair" on the yellow birds. The Beaks are made from gummy orange slices cut into thirds. the white breasts on the red and blue birds are large marshmallows cut into thirds. And the "hair" on the red bird and the ears on the Pigs are made from Mike N Ikes! To make the Pig noses I cut a large marshmallow in half and iced it with green and placed it on the top on the cupcakes. And the pig nostrils are also mini chocolates chips. The pigs teeth were also mini marshmallows cut into thirds and rolled up.
All in all they turned out really cute! Not superstar quality. BUT....Brother Baer loves them and hopefully his class does too. And really...That's all that counts I think! And they were easy and fun. And seriously. SEE....I am not just wasting time on Pintrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment