Monday, August 29, 2011

Saurkraut Stuffed Banana Peppers

Saurkraut Stuffed Banana Peppers
32 Banana Peppers (I use mild)

4 cups of saurkraut

Minced Garlic

Brine: 16 cups of Vinegar, 16 cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1 cup canning salt.

Makes 8 quarts

Cut the ends off your peppers and deseed them. Stuff them with cooked saurkraut. Add one tablesoon of minced garlic to each quart jar and stuff them with the banana peppers. Cover with Brine leaving 1/4 inch head space.

Seal with hot seals and rims. Water bath for 10 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot see the entire recipe due to your lovely photo of the two of you...I have been looking for years for a recipe that sounds like this may be it. We purchased a jar at a Church Sale and it was kind of sweet and a little hot and I ate almost the entire jar by myself. I could never track down the recipe. Thanks for posting it...I am hoping this is the one! -Nola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the brine have to be cooked and hot and also does the kraut have to be cooked (meaning hot) or just from the can? How long do they keep after being canned and also, I can't see what to do with the lids...can you tell I don't can??? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not necessary to cook your kraut, but the brine does need to be hot. Cook your brine to dissolve the sugar and salt. Your lids should also be hot, put them in a small pan with water covering them and put them on low to medium heat. I find if you put your ingredients for the brine together and then stuff your peppers, you can turn your brine on to cook when you are about 1/2 way done stuffing the peppers, because that's going to take some time.

      Delete