Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Lemon Cake

Thankfully, after my Pintrest failure I had a back up for Easter Dinner!
This was right up my Alley....An awesome Cake that was super easy to make. It's not perfect, but thankfully it's MUCH better than the previous project.
My first attempt at Fondant. Which I must say wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it would be. My only "issue" with it was I didn't follow directions. (Again..When will I learn there is ALWAYS a reason for a step) I didn't put a layer of buttercream under the Fondant. I just slapped it on. So....It doesn't have that awesome smooth appearance and it didn't really "stick" to the cake. Haha. Otherwise it was super easy to roll out and put on. I will use Fondant again for sure! (And I'll follow directions too)
The decorating consisted on green icing as the grass and the nest. (Which also helped cover up the bottom and my not so perfect cutting of the Fondant) And Cadburry Malt eggs as the eggs.
BAM! Done. Easy Peasy.
The Cake is a Lemon Cake with a layer of Strawberry Jam in between.
Lemon Cake Recipe:

1 c butter, softened
2 Cups of Sugar
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 c lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1⁄3 c all-purpose flour
2 ½ t baking powder
¼ t salt
1 cup milk
Set your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and Flour your cake pan. Mix the wet ingredients up and slowly add the flour, baking powderm and salt. Beat till well mixed and then pour into pan to bake.
I baked 2 8 inch round cakes for 30 minutes. the time will change if you are using a 9 x 13 pan. Bake it till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Approx 30 minutes.
The Strawberry Jam is good old Smuckers Strawberry Jam. That's it. ;)
The cake was great, and even Papa Baer who isn't a cake fan liked it!
(Take that you stupid ole' cake pops! LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment